A betting line is a form of betting where a bookmaker or betting shop sets gambling odds and determines the favorites and underdogs in a match. This handicap creates a margin (line) between two teams where only two outcomes are possible and sets the betting options for the game.
An example of how betting lines work
Let’s use the point spread and say that the bookmaker thinks the Cleveland Cavaliers are 20 points better than the Washington Wizards. The bookmaker can give the Cavaliers a 20-point head start, which creates our line bet.
In this scenario, the player has two options: bet on the Cavaliers to win over 20 points, or bet on the Wizards to get a 20-point lead. Both outcomes of this bet will have equal chances.
- Here is an example from life: in a game between the Brooklyn Nets and the Charlotte Hornets, the bookmaker imposes such handicaps on two teams: Nets 7.5
- Hornets 7.5.
This line has now leveled the playing field in the competition, meaning that both teams now have an equal chance of winning with handicaps imposed. Given that the Hornets are the favorites in this game, they need to win by eight points for the bet to play. For the Nets bet to be paid out, the underdogs must not be eight or more points behind. When scoring points, the coefficient is usually set to -110, unless it is specified by the bookmaker. This means that a $10 bet on the Hornets will net you $9.10 if you win.
Types of betting lines
In terms of betting lines, players can place several types of bets. The most common type is a straight bet, which simply involves one team winning over another without adding or subtracting points.
Parlays are another popular form of betting where multiple games are combined into one bet and if they all win, the player is paid out a much higher bet than a single straight bet.
Teasers are like accumulators, although you can add or subtract points in each game to increase your chances of winning. Money line bets involve one team beating the other without any spread, and these bets usually pay more if you can pick the right team.
Finally, there are side bets which include betting on certain events that take place in the game, such as how many points will be scored or which player will score first. Depending on the bookmaker, these bets may have different odds and associated payouts.
What is a money line bet?
Money line bets are the most popular bets in sports betting. With this bet, the player places a bet on which team or player will win the match or tournament. New bettors like these types of bets as the bookmakers do not impose handicaps on them.
However, almost all sports games have a favorite and an underdog and the bookmaker adjusts their odds to reflect the likelihood of each team/player winning the game.
Here is a perfect example of a money line bet using Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor in 2017:
- Floyd Mayweather 500
- Conor McGregor 400.
Benefits of using different betting lines:
The ability to use different types of betting lines is a powerful tool for any sports bettor. Various types of betting lines can be used to increase the chances of winning and maximize profits, as well as help limit losses. Here are some of the main benefits of using different types of betting lines:
1. Improved odds. Different types of betting lines offer different odds, which can be beneficial for the player. This can help increase the chances of success as well as maximize profits in certain scenarios.
2. Risk reduction. Using different types of bet lines also helps reduce risk and limit losses. By using multiple betting strategies, a bettor can spread the risk and help minimize losses if the bet goes wrong.
3. Variety of strategies. Different types of betting lines also allow you to use different betting strategies. This can help the player find the best approach for any given situation and increase their chances of success.
4. Flexibility. Finally, the use of different types of betting lines gives the player the opportunity to adjust their strategies as needed. This is very important in sports betting where the odds of success are often very low and any advantage
may be decisive. If the strategy doesn’t work, the ability to switch to a different betting line type can help you stay one step ahead of the competition.
Using different types of betting lines is an invaluable tool for any sports bettor. By taking advantage of the various benefits they offer, you can greatly increase your chances of success and maximize your profits.